Endometriosis is when the body develops tissue similar to uterine lining outside the uterus. Dr. Debora Sedaghat of Fountain Valley, CA, looks at your history, current symptoms and physical exam in addition to possibly ultrasound and at times MRI or laparoscopy to detect endometriosis. If you are concerned about endometriosis, schedule an appointment with OC Women's Care.
More About Endometriosis
Endometriosis affects more than six million women in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is more common in patients between their 30s and 40s and makes getting pregnant difficult. These benign growths have several symptoms and appear in several places:
What are the symptoms of endometriosis?
Endometriosis is difficult to diagnose, so women need to remain alert of symptoms:
- Pain is the most common symptom during menstrual cramps, in the lower back and pelvis, during or after sex, and during bowel movements.
- Bleeding or spotting between menstrual cycles.
- Stomach problems, including diarrhea, constipation, bloating, or nausea during menstrual cycles.
You should visit your Fountain Valley, CA, doctor to prevent further complications. Unchecked, endometriosis tissue may grow into ovaries and block your fallopian tubes, which may trap blood and form cysts. Women may also experience inflammation because of scar tissue, causing pelvic pain.
Treatment and Preventative Care
Endometriosis isn't preventable, but there are preventative measures you can take, like lowering estrogen levels that thicken the lining of the uterine wall during menstruation.
Do this by:
- Using birth control pills, patches or rings.
- Exercise regularly (more than 4 hours a week) to reduce body fat and estrogen circulating through the body.
- Avoid alcohol because it raises estrogen levels.
- Avoid large amounts of caffeine
Treatment options may include hormonal medications to suppress cycles, surgery, pain medicine and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies, like acupuncture and chiropractic care.
Would you like to speak to your doctor?
Endometriosis is a serious illness and if you think you have the symptoms mentioned, you should contact Dr. Debora Sedaghat at her Fountain Valley, CA, office by calling (714) 966-2112 today! OC Women's Care is here for all of your needs.