Post Partum Care
posted: Apr. 12, 2022.
Your trips to the OB/GYN don't stop just because you've given birth. In fact, postpartum care offered by your OB/GYN in Fountain Valley, CA, Dr. Debora Sedaghat of OC Women's Care, is particularly important for new mothers.
What is postpartum care?
Dramatic changes happened to your body during pregnancy and birth, so it's not surprising that it takes a little while to get back to normal. A postpartum care appointment at the Fountain Valley, CA, OB/GYN office six weeks after your baby is born ensures that you're healing normally and don't have any complications or issues. (Of course, you can always see the doctor if you develop any issues before or after six weeks.)
What is involved in postpartum care?
During a postpartum care visit, your doctor will:
- Perform an Exam: The examination is an important part of the visit and helps your doctor spot any issues with healing or scar development if you had a cesarean delivery.
- Discuss Your Eating and Exercising Habits: Caring for a newborn can be so exhausting that you may neglect your own health. During the postpartum care visit, your doctor will make sure that you are taking care of yourself, eating a healthy diet and taking vitamins.
- Ask About Breastfeeding Issues: Breastfeeding isn't always as easy as it looks on TV. If you're having any issues with breastfeeding, your doctor can offer suggestions or refer you to a lactation consultant.
- Offer Birth Control: You can get pregnant again very quickly, even if you are breastfeeding. While you're at the office, your OB/GYN can prescribe or recommend an effective means of birth control.
- Share Information About the Baby Blues: It's not unusual to feel a little sad or weepy after giving birth. If the symptoms are intense, last more than two weeks, or you want to hurt yourself or your baby, call your OB/GYN immediately.
- Want to Hear All About Your Baby: Your postpartum visit is the perfect time to share a few photos of your new addition and discuss how your life has changed since the birth.
Would you like to schedule an appointment for postpartum care? Call your Fountain Valley, CA, OB/GYN, Dr. Sedaghat of OC Women's Care, at (714) 966-2112 to arrange your visit.