Why Having An OBGYN Is Important
posted: Dec. 10, 2020.
OBGYNs, commonly known as a doctor who’s both an obstetrician and gynecologist, take care of women through all phases of their lives, from adolescence to their childbearing years and all through menopause. Whatever concern you may have, our OBGYN here at OC Women’s Care in Fountain Valley, CA, Dr. Debora Sedaghat, has probably seen, heard, and treated it before. With that said, if you’ve yet to find an OBGYN, here’s why having one you can trust is extremely important.
How Your OBGYN Can Help You
In a nutshell, OBGYNs provide preventive care, general healthcare, and treatment from conditions and diseases related to pregnancy and the female reproductive system. They’re capable of:
- Assessing your medical history and educating you about the prevention of disease and overall wellness.
- Giving care throughout pregnancy and the postpartum period.
- Conducting reproductive health screenings such as Pap smears, pelvic exams, cancer screenings, STD screenings, and breast exams, among others.
- Providing contraceptive counseling and family planning.
- Treating and diagnosing chronic and acute conditions and diseases that impact women’s health, including infertility, gynecological diseases, and cancer, as well as menopause.
- Ordering and interpreting imaging and lab tests and prescribing medicines.
- Performing surgery including minimally invasive surgeries on female reproductive organs including D & C or dilation and curettage, cesarean sections, ovarian cyst removals, tubal ligations, hysterectomies, among others.
- Monitoring, treating, and screening various women related issues from adolescence to reproductive years and throughout menopause.
When to See an OBGYN
Besides routine yearly exams, consider seeing your OBGYN in Fountain Valley, CA, if you experience these conditions and symptoms:
- Foul-smelling, persistent, and/or unusual vaginal discharge
- Breast changes, including lumps and discoloration
- Heavy vaginal bleeding or bleeding between periods
- Pain or severe cramps after or while having sexual intercourse
- Menopausal or perimenopausal symptoms, including hot flashes, irregular periods, mood swings, decreased sex drive
- Premenstrual syndrome or PMS symptoms like moodiness, swollen breasts, fatigue, or irritability
According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, women should likewise visit their OBGYN under these circumstances:
- You’re pregnant or are looking to conceive
- You’re sexually active and require birth control
- You haven’t menstruated by 16 or you haven’t had a breast exam, Pap smear, or pelvic exam in more than a year
If you are like plenty of women, it’s understandable to find revealing intimate details about your body and lifestyle to your doctor very difficult. But your health, and/or that of your unborn child, depends on it, so make sure to find an OBGYN that you can really be comfortable with and trust.
To Find Out More About Our OBGYN and Our Services, Speak to Us
Set up an appointment with our OBGYN in Fountain Valley, CA, Dr. Debora Sedaghat, and her team today. Just dial (714) 966-2112 or request an online appointment to reach OC Women's Care today.