What is an OBGYN?
OB GYN is a common abbreviation that many women are familiar with. But what exactly is an OB GYN? OB GYN can be broken into two parts:
- Obstetrician – The “OB” portion of the name refers to obstetrician. This is a type of physician who has specialized training and education in the management of pregnancy, labor, and post-partum, or the time-period directly following childbirth
- Gynecologist – The “GYN” portion of the term refers to gynecologist. This is a type of physician who has specialized education and training in the health of the female reproductive system.This can include the diagnosis and treatment of reproductive system disorders and diseases
The specialized training and education for both fields usually occurs concurrently. This makes an obstetrician/gynecologist (OB GYN) a physician specialist who provides women the medical and surgical care they need in pregnancy, childbirth, and when treating disorders of the reproductive system.
An OBGYN deals with women’s healthcare at all stages of life, includingduring the adolescent years, reproductive years, menopausal years and post menopause years. These doctors offer a range of care services pertaining to the female reproductive system including:
- Annual Exams/Pap Smears
- Contraception/Birth Control
- HPV diagnosis and prevention
- Adolescent Care
- Sexual Dysfunction/Problems
- Menstruation Problems
- Reproductive Issues, including uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts
- Breast Exams/Mammography
- Pre-Conception Counseling
- GYN Infections
- Hormonal Management
It is important that every woman has an OB GYN and schedule an exam on yearly basis for routine gynecological care. This type of routine care can help prevent illness or serious damage with early detection and can make pregnancy and childbirth easier.
When you are looking for an OBGYN in Fountain Valley or Orange County, look no further than the caring team at OC Women’s Care. We offer a range of comprehensive gynecological services to ensure your health is protected at every stage of your life.
What comprehensive care services doesOC Women’s Care offer?
OC Women’s Care is proud to offer Fountain Valley and Orange County with comprehensive gynecological care for women of all ages, from adolescence through menopause and beyond. Our trained staff, led by Dr. Sedaghat, can accommodate your regular annual checkup as well as other issues like treatment of hormonal problems, abnormal bleeding, STD screening and treatment, abnormal pap smears, menopausal management and more.
Our main focuses include:
- Obstetrics – Whether you are thinking about getting pregnant or are already pregnant, OC Women’s Care is here to help. Our staff provideseach patient with an individualized and positive prenatal and birth experience. We are here to ensure the safety and health of you and your baby.
- Gynecology and Wellness Care –OC Women’s Health wants to ensure all of our patients stay healthy and informed. We are happy to offer preventative and wellness care services including yearly exams and contraceptive options and counseling. However, our range of gynecological and wellness care services extend beyond this to include a range of complete care options for women of all ages. OC Women’s Health is happy to offer:
- Annual Exams
- Screening Exams including Pap Smear and Mammography
- Management of Hormonal and Menstrual Problems, such as irregular bleeding and PMS
- Adolescent Care
- Care of Urinary Problems
- Management of Reproductive Related Problems
- Management of Menopause
- Minimally Invasive and Major GYN Surgeries
If you are looking for a gynecologist in Orange County, California, OC Women’s Care is here for you. Give us a call today for more information and to set up an appointment.
What to Expect from an OB GYN
Your OBGYN is an important person in your life. This doctor will help you with some of the most important health issues you will face, such as birth control, childbirth, and menopause. It is important to see your doctor annually as she will screen for cancer and diseases, as well as treat infections or urinary tract problems.
Your gynecologist appointment usually begins with a general health check. You will be weighed and your blood pressure will be taken. Some doctors ask to perform a urine test as well.
Thereafter you will have a physical exam. Depending on your age, your OBGYN will decide whether your exam will include a breast exam, speculum exam and/or pelvic/bimanual exam. It is important to avoid having sex within 24 hours of your doctor’s appointment as it could affect your test results.
The exam usually begins with your OB GYN asking you general questions about your health history. When the examination begins, the doctor will examine the reproductive organs and may take a Pap smear swab. This involves the removal of a sample of cells from your cervix with a small brush. These cells are tested in a lab for cervical cancer and other abnormalities.
Finally, doctor will do a bimanual exam. This allows the doctor to feel your cervix, uterus and ovaries to ensure there are no abnormalities. Your doctor may finish the exam by conducting a breast exam to check for lumps or other abnormalities.
When should you start seeing an ob-gyn?
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that the first OB GYN visit should occur as soon as a young woman begins menstruating to allow her to get to know her doctor. There is usually no need for a pelvic exam at that time, but it is a good idea for young women to be comfortable asking the doctor questions. The doctor can also take this opportunity to talk to her about her overall health and good habits.
When a woman becomes an adult, she should have a yearly gynecological visit and exam. This yearly exam should continue throughout her childbearing years and even post-menopause.
Who is Dr. Sedaghat?
Dr. Sedaghat is a Diplomate of the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology. With specialized education and training, Dr. Sedaghat is able to provide gynecological and obstetric care to each and every patient. From the adolescent to post-menopausal years, Dr. Sedaghat can help. Developing a collaborative and respectful environment that is based on integrity, trust and a high set of standards, Dr. Sedaghat and her team are able to provide the best care possible.